Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) Prep Instructions:
What is an ERCP?
Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography is a procedure that combines upper gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy and x rays to treat problems of the bile and pancreatic ducts. Upper GI endoscopy is a procedure that uses a lighted, flexible endoscope to see and perform procedures inside the upper GI tract. The upper GI tract includes the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum—the first part of the small intestine.
An ERCP is performed to evaluate the gallbladder, pancreas, and associated structures. This procedure is used to locate gallstones, and evaluate the causes of jaundice (yellow eyes) and chronic abdominal pain.
Before the Procedure:
- The evening before your exam take 2 Dulcolax tablets.
- Nothing by mouth should be taken after midnight.
- MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE BELOW LABS COMPLETED PRIOR TO THE PROCEDURE.
- COMP MET. PANEL
Day of Procedure:
- Administer 1 fleet enema 1 hour before leaving home.
- You can purchase the Dulcolax tablets and enemas over the counter at any drug store.
Date of Procedure: __________________ Scheduled Time: ______________________
Facility Address: ____________________________________________________________
Facility Phone Number: ( ) ____________________
Patients who take Aspirin or Anti-Coagulants:
- Stop Aspirin or other non-steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Medications for 7 days prior to the procedure
- Stop Coumadin (Warfarin) or Plavix (Clopidogrel) 7 days prior to the procedure
Patients with Diabetes:
- Consult with your primary doctor on how to modify diabetic medication or insulin injection
On the Morning of Procedure Please Bring:
- Your current ID and Insurance Card
- A list of your current medications, remedies, products, and allergies
- You must have a licensed driver to drive you home. Your procedure will be cancelled if you do not have a designated driver.
*You must arrive to the facility 1 & ½ hours before your scheduled time.*
Return Appt. Date: _______________ Time: _______________
Address: 8110 Airport Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90045 (310) 674-0144
Print Name: ______________________________
Patient Signature: _________________________ Date: ________
Instructions Given By: _____________________ Date: _________